Re: Platycerium superbum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Platycerium superbum
  • From: Roy Vail vailroy@yahoo.com
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 17:25:42 -0800 (PST)

I had always thought that the separation of P.
superbum and P. grandae was based on both their form,
and geography.  To be P. grandae it HAS to be from the
Philippines.

It is interesting to hear comments from someone like
Dan who has seen quantities of both.

P. grandae, P. holttumii and P. superbum are very
closely related, so, unless a hobbyist has a lot of
space, I don't see the reason for trying to grow all
three.  P. superbum is as spectacular as any of them,
and it can take lower temperatures, so it seems a
reasonable choice.

I'd like to see a picture of the P. superbum with two
spore patches.  It would be easy to put it up on
Geocities, or e-mail it to me  vailroy@hotmail.com
and I'll put it up.

The plant is in Sarasota.  Does the fern society there
know about it?

Roy Vail
Mena, Arkansas USA
Zone 7a