Spore Germination

  • Subject: [ferns] Spore Germination
  • From: "Doret Vermeulen" cfao@iway.na
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:30:40 +0200

Hi Everyone,

The spore I received from so many people had almost all started to germinate. I can still not believe that it turned out to be more successful than my first attempt. But this time I did a few things different and it seems to have worked wonders at least for the part of germination.

Even the different kind of platycerium spore that I sowed middle January had already germinated. I know that there is still a long road ahead but at least I can stay positive now.

Now I have a few questions please and I hope you don't think I am stupid but even if you do I still need some help.

First: This time I sowed the spore in clear plastic container with a lid. I used half sand half canadian peat. Now I notice that from the condensation there forms dark green patches on the growing medium. How do I stop this from happening? At this stage I turned some of the containers on their sides but I used perlite at the bottom before the sand/peat mix so if it is turned for too long the medium starts to crumble and fall over. I have almost 120 containers and some 15 has this dark green blotches and it is smelly. Then in only one other container where the sporeling has one frond each there is this thick green mold. (looks like candy floss)And it is preventing water to go through what am I to do about this??

I would really appreciate some help.

ferny regards from Namibia