Re: Pseudococcus

Dear Peter:
	 DON'T DISCARD YOUR FERNS!!!!

	I once worked on Xanthomonas, a bacterial blight of cotton, same
disease, different genus as your infection.   Bacterial blights are
soil bacteria that cause problems only when they get carried through
stomtes into the spaces between leaf cells by splashing water. Once
inside the leaf, they make a sticky mucilage that keeps the bacterial
cells hydrated.  The mucilage also makes the leaves look dark from
above, and when viewed against a bright light, the colonies inside the
leaf show bright.  Sometimes, especially in cool and damp weather,  the
mucilage will flow out of the leaves and make the surface slimy.  The
leaf may turn yellow green and then brown at the sites of infection.
It looks really nasty.    I have seen bacterial blight on various
ferns, always at this time of year in northern hemisphere when
conditions in greenhouses are cool, damp and the plants are not growing
much.  In the cotton fields, the problem gets out of hand in long
periods of very hot, humid weather with little wind.

	Remove of as much infected tissue/fronds as possible from the
greenhouse.  While you handle this material, do not touch other plants.
  Avoid wetting any foliage with water near infected plants, as this
will spread the infection.  Also, wash your tools and hands, before
returning to the greenhouse.   Let the plants dry out a bit, warm up
the house if that is and option, and increase air circulation somewhat,
if you can.   If things are really out of hand, after removing all
infected tissue possible, you can spray with an antibiotic, such as
penicillin, to bring down the amount of bacteria on the surface.
Unless the growing points are destroyed by the infection, you should
not loose any plants, though infected tissues will die eventually.

	If your dunking and scrubbing has increased the problem, don't panic.
Warm things up, let the wind blow through, don't touch healthy fronds
after infected ones, and remove actively infected tissues.  You can
also fertilize lightly to help the infected plants begin recovering.
If problems persist, as a last resort, think about spraying with an
antibiotic.  And take heart!!  This is a bacteria which came from the
soil, and is only an opportunistic pathogen, not a frequent problem.

Good luck
Betty in South Bend IN
where we are under a winter storm warning, and expect as much as a foot
of snow and ice in the next 24 hours.!!!  Burr!!!