RE: Angiopteris

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Angiopteris
  • From: "Frank" f_h_bln@gmx.net
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 14:29:15 +0100 (MET)

Hello Keith,

that sounds very good. How long did you have to wait for? I have read on
some resources that these prothalli are very long-living (for several years)
and that germination and fertilisation on the gametophyte takes a lot of
time (several years?). On the same source it was said that they are always
asscoiated with mycorrhiza fungi, which I think is not typical for other
ferns?
Do you or somebody else have harvested spores from Angiopteris? I tried it
several times by picking pinnae with mature (well I thoguht they are
mature)sori and have put them in an envelope. But after drying almost no
detectable spores have been released. I tried it several times - always the
same result. Do I miss the correct maturity stage or is there a different
mechanism of spore release compared to the leptosporangiate ferns? I just
rubbed the sori off and sowed them completely on the substrate. I hope this
will work.

Thank you all for your hints and the book search engines - very useful also
for other books.

Best

Frank

> --- Urspr|ngliche Nachricht ---
> Von: "Keith Rogers" <kerogers@iprimus.com.au>
> An: <ferns@hort.net>
> Betreff: RE: [ferns] Angiopteris
> Datum: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 23:13:14 +1030
>
> Hi Frank
>
> Did have some success a few years ago with Marattia, used my normal
> propagating mix and waited.  Appears they and Angiopteris can have huge
> prothallus, some here were 50mm long.
>
> Th
ey did not need any Mycorrhiza to get them to 30mm sporelings, but I did

--
Satte Provisionen f|r GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner