RE: index AFJ

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] index AFJ
  • From: "Winter, Wim de" Wim.dewinter@wisl.nl
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:04:45 +0200

Mike,

Yes, I feel the desire to build such an index, but the answer is not defenitely affirmative yet. I will start out with a pilot to determine how easily the printed index can be converted to ascii, and the ascii to a database. This largely depends on how the OCR-software deals with the type-face used.

The most work will probably be the manual correction of the ascii representation of a volume's index. The scanning and correcting could be easily divided over volunteers. Everyone one volume won't take much more than two hours each. The conversion into a database will be my job, then.

John Scott reports about a literature database of his, at least partly based on the AFJ. With a bit of luck, we could use this as a start. I will contact John about this.

As to help of the AFS, I do hardly foresee any cost in such a project. I do not, however, have access to all volumes, only from 1949 on with a few missing. Also, the AFS should be willing to integrate the resulting index on the website.

regards,

Wim de Winter

Wageningen Software Labs
Postbus 47 - 6700 AA Wageningen - Netherlands
visiting: Bornsesteeg 47 gebouw 116, Wageningen
tel. +31 (0) 317 474233
fax: +31 (0) 317 419000
<http://www.wisl.nl/>