everyone is attached and growing happily!

>From: "Keith Rogers" >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net >To: >Subject: Re:
[ferns] artificial trees >Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:42:31 +0930 > >Hi Wim
> >Forget Mortar, it appears not to be a concrete suggestion!! > >Use 4
in or 6in PVC Sewer pipe for an erect pipe perhaps 3 or 4 ft long. > >You
could just do a series of cuts in the pipe 3 or 4 inches long with a
>hacksaw around the circumference in varying positions. > >Warm it up
bending the upper in and the lower out, this forms a say half cup >shape.
>The problem is if you put the pipe in the oven to real hot, the lot
becomes >pliable. >Heating with a blow torch, burns. >Perhaps a hair
drier would work. > >Clean up the rough edges with a file and sandpaper.
> >Get a PVC cap, add a larger base for support, cut drain holes in it
and glue >onto bottom. > >The contents is easy, use sphagnum moss. >
Page is at >www.lm.net.au/~kerogers/ >Supporting the Fern Society of
South Australia on >www.chariot.net.au/~saufern/ > >----- Original
Message ----- >From: "Winter, Wim de" >To: >Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003
5:12 AM >Subject: [ferns] artificial trees > > > > A colleage of mine
told me something about constructing artificial trees >for epiphyte
growth. However, he did not know any details. Maybe some of you >do? > >
> > It starts with a pvc drainpipe. This is enveloped with a mixture of
mortar >and peat (1:2 ?). Litthe holes in the pipe allow water from the
pipe's >interior to moisten the outside substratum. Cups could be shaped
in the >mortar to allow for easier planting. > > > > It's an intriguing
idea, but imagining to construct it, questions arise: > > > > - whats the
size of the holes? > > - is the pipe topped of with water, so should it
be water tight at the >bottom end? > > - is the pipe filled up with any
kind of spongy matter? > > - is 1:2 the correct mortar:peat rate? > > -
isn't the mortar to alkaline for epiphytic species? > > > > Any
experiences? > > > > Wim de Winter > > > >