RE: Mounting Platyceriums

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Mounting Platyceriums
  • From: "Redman, Julia" <jredman@tigr.org>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:24:19 -0400

Hey thanks Keith.

I had a superbum once that I mounted on a large Styrofoam plaque with
sphagnum (an idea I probably got from you some time ago), but it
languished and croaked.  I don't know if maybe it just didn't get enough
moisture in my apartment.  I put mine in a whole I made in the plaque.
Having never seen a freshly mounted platycerium, I didn't know where the
root ball wet-silly as that sounds.

I'm working with another superbum now, currently growing in a 4 inch
pot.  (I'd like to not kill this one.)  The root mass seems pretty
dense.  Can you really just pull it apart or do you cut it?

I live in a house now, and have access to a very moist basement where I
grow orchids under artificial light and a nice screened in porch (for
summer growing only here in MD).

Thanks,

Julia