Best fern propagation

  • Subject: [ferns] Best fern propagation
  • From: Baumfarn Webmaster webmaster@baumfarn.at
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:32:03 +0200

At Yahoo-treefern were also some msg posted about the best environment on fern propagtion ([treefern] Challenge, [treefern] Challenge-Frank).
Not soil-mixture. Environment: best temperature, humidity of soil, air-humidity exposure to light.
My experienec on treeferns is, that they love to be at least sometimes quite warm (around 300C). I placed some of my boxes on a self-constructed propagation trolley (http://www.baumfarn.at/treefern/viewtopic.php?t=716). The boxes over the tube get some heat it. You can touch it easily anytime with your hand, without getting ever burned, just feel nice warm. But don't know realy the temperature. Another posted, that this is true, but as soon as some prothalia are developing it needs light too.

What your experience on this? Esspecially on growing tropical or semi/sub-tropical ferns?

treeferns & aroids: http://www.baumfarn.at/treefern (http://www.baumfarn.at)
Amorphophallus network: http://www.amorphophallus.baumfarn.at/