Re: Best fern propagation

Baumfarn Webmaster wrote:
Hi David,

My experience in growing Dicksonia antactica and Cyathea australis is
that they do best in situations resembling their natural habitat. So
tropical treeferns should do best in warmer conditions. Young
Dicksonias certainly don't like 30 deg C unless there's a lot of moisture.

Seems that sowing them in a box covered permanently with a plastic and sufficient wet soil will give them enough moisture.
Even on temperatures around 30 deg C. ;-)

So this environment would be beneficial?!

Provided the environment is sterile (and others can advise on this better than I can) I see no problem with a daily cycle that takes temperatures up to 30 deg C. All the more so if they are tropical varieties.

David Nicholls
Nicholls Communications