Re: Extended ASCII test

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Extended ASCII test
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:03:17 -0400

Well, my email program is old - ascii text with acceptance of some
odd HTML commands as I occasionally see a colored background, but
often see nothing for messages emanating from some new email program
with lots of bells and whistles in use - messages arrive blank;
sometimes can be seen by going to the source code, but I generally
just delete those for lack of time to dig into them.

 came out with boxes on my system.  I know this is not hort.net
server related as it happens no matter where the email originates and
has done ever since I began to use this program in 1996; before any
involvement with hort.net.

Personally, I would much rather people sent email in plain ascii text
so I can read the messages:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade, Suite101.com
Shadyside Garden Designs

> From: Winter, Wim de <Wim.dewinter@wur.nl>
> To my experience, it's the hort.net list-server that filters
characters greater than 128 and replaces them with standard ASCII
(Americal Standard Code of Information Interchange). Though often
inconvenient, it can by argued in favour, for how these characters
are displayed depends on the settings of your computer and the font
you're using. Although this second set is usually designed as
"extended ASCII" it's neither American nor standard code.
> For example, in the table I have included below, the character
after "128" reads to me as a Euro-sign (capital C crossed out).
However, when I don't use courier as font, it shows up as captial
C-cedille. To make it more complex, each font CAN have multiple
> The answer to all this is using UniCode, but although UniCode has
been in the process of replacing ASCII for a couple of years now, we
still have our operating systems, mail applications and network
traffic facilities that all must cooperate to let you read what I
intended to write.
> I thought of sending this message several times by various networks
but the listserver only will accept my primary mail address. So if
anyone thinks that through his/her networks the xASCII-characters do
come through, please ask me for a privately sent copy of this message
to retry this test.
> Here's the table from 128-255. It would surprise me is more than a
few characters would come though correctly.