-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net]On Behalf Of
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005
Angiopteris evecta is also native to Africa and Madagascar.  My  original
plant is of Madagascar origin, by way of Jamaica (where it has  colonized in
the Blue Mountain region).
Next question, how many species are there?  Answer, no one  knows.  There
are a few distinctive Angiopteris such as Angiopteris smithii  (a
once-pinnate form), Angiopteris fokiensis (a species in China-Viet Nam,
where  it is thought to be a complex with stipes that are bumpy), A.
angustifolia, that  has narrow pinnules (and then this one also goes by the
name of A.  palmiformis).  Taxonomists put the number as few as 11 species
or as many as  111 (and many of these are probably varieties of A. evecta).
There are a few  species on our fern society website:
Reggie  Whitehead
South Miami, Florida