RE: Tree-fern query from Hawaii

There is a marvelous new book out...A Tropical Garden Flora....sort of a
sequel and expanded version of Marie Neals' In Gardens of Hawaii.
FABulous reference.  They say "Angiopteris evecta is distributed from
Malaysia to Polynesiaand was first described from a Tahitian specimen.
It was indroduced to Hawai'i in 1927...."

>From: "Robert Newman" <plantboy@earthlink.net>
>To: <ferns@hort.net>
>Subject: RE: [ferns] Tree-fern query from Hawaii
>Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:27:51 -0700
>I have a book on which herbs are used in trad. Chinese medicine and it
>the following species of Angiopteris used in China:  A. evecta, A.
>(= A. tenera, A. shanyuanensis), A. hokouensis, A. kwangsiensis, A.
>A. muralis, A. officinalis, A. omeiensis, A. petiolulata, A. robusta, A.
>sinica, A. yentangensis, and A. yunnanensis (and in that family, there's
>also Archangiopteris henryi listed).  I have a good contact in Emei and
>could probably get spores of A. omeiensis in the future, if some are
>interested.    I don't know how accurate these names and synonyms are
>whether the Chinese botanists are splitters who may be creating more
>than others agree with.
>Robert Newman, San Fernando Valley, CA
Madagascar.  My  original
>plant is of Madagascar origin, by way of Jamaica (where it
has  colonized in
>the Blue Mountain region).
>Next question, how many species are there?  Answer, no
one  knows.  There