Re: Blechnum 'silver lady'

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Blechnum 'silver lady'
  • From: darrenandre@juno.com
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:40:19 GMT

I do  not know if this has been answered yet but I do recall a discussion thread about a year ago on the Identity on the fern "Blechnum Silver Lady"  As memory serves blechnum "Silver Lady" is a selection of Blechnum gibbum(A species from New Caledonia I believe).  It was developed by a (Dutch?) tissue culture lab(The name escapes me) who grew on approximately 100,000 sporelings and selected the most vigorous of the bunch.  This plant was then tissue cultured so all of the plants under this cultivar name  are genetically identical.  The plants you grow from the spore  you received will likely not be as vigorous as the parent "Silver Lady" plant (Unless you are real lucky in how the DNA zips up.)  Regardelss, Blechnum gibbum has been a fairly easy plant for me and definitely worth growing.

Hope this has been helpful,

Kindest Regards,

Darren Andri

Northridge, California