Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum

  • Subject: [ferns] Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum
  • From: "Brian Swale" bj@caverock.net.nz
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 13:24:43 +1200

Hi everybody,

About a year ago I collected a nice lot of spore of Adiantum formosum; a rare
fern where I live; New Zealand.

I sowed them on sterilised soil and now have a fine crop of prothalli. In fact,
I've had a fine crop of prothalli for about 3 months.

Problem is, I can't persuade them to breed.

They are sitting in a "sealed" plastic tray, in moderate light (even some direct
sunlight, as I have seen for the species in nature), and relatively warm.
Periodically, I spray them with clean water.

There's not one sporophyte to be seen.

What else should I try to get some plants?

Thanks, Brian Swale