Re: Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum
  • From: Duane Petersen dpetersen11@cox.net
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:21:40 -0500

If your prothalli have a nice green apprearance, I wouldn't worry yet. I have had maidenhair prothalli that waited over a year before they began to send up sporophytes. In fact, I think the only reason they bothered to do so is that I had placed another flat of maidenhair spores next them which rapidly began to send up sporophytes. Pure jealousy spurred them on after a year of pouting. You might try this or you might read them passages from a text on psychological problems. If nothing else, they may begin the breeding process out of pure boredom. Duane Petersen

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi everybody,

About a year ago I collected a nice lot of spore of Adiantum formosum; a rare fern where I live; New Zealand.

I sowed them on sterilised soil and now have a fine crop of prothalli. In fact, I've had a fine crop of prothalli for about 3 months.

Problem is, I can't persuade them to breed.

They are sitting in a "sealed" plastic tray, in moderate light (even some direct sunlight, as I have seen for the species in nature), and relatively warm. Periodically, I spray them with clean water.

There's not one sporophyte to be seen.

What else should I try to get some plants?

Thanks, Brian Swale