Re: Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum
  • From: "Ralph Archer" ralpharcher@worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 07:19:30 -0400

Hi Brian
Barry Wright, the BPS Spore Exchange Curator, has written a very nice
pamphlet called 'The "Wright" Way to Grow Ferns from Spores'. He sends a
copy out with the shipment of spores if requested.   In it he says that "
When prothalli are crowded frond development is inhibited."  He recommends
what he calls "patch out."  This involves taking pieces of the mat up to one
cm in size and placing them two to three cm apart on sterilized compost in a
new pot or tray.  Be sure to make a depression on the soil and gently press
the patch into loose material to ensure good contact.  Reseal in a new bag
or tray with a good cover that has enough head room for the frond
development.  This has worked for me.  You might want to try a small part of
the mat to start.  He also says that the prothalli are "very tolerant of
neglect" and if not patched out can be held for a year or two before
patching out.
Ralph in Louisville, USA