Re: Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Fertilisation of Adiantum formosum
  • From: "Rufino Osorio" rufinofl@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:26:44 -0400

When prothalli are reluctant to produce sporophytes, I use the following technique: I gently but thoroughly water the pot containing the prothalli from above until water runs out the bottom of the pot to thoroughly flush out the medium. Then I place the pot in a glass or ceramic container and fill the container up with water until the water level is just barely above the level of the prothalli. They are kept in this "water bath" for 4-8 hours or overnight. The pot is then well-drained and I then treat it normally. Sporophytes usually begin to develop within a few weeks of such treatment.

Kind regards,
Rufino
USDA Zone 10a