Pesky Ferns

Now, please, don't sent out the posse to string me up for such
heresy...but one of our BIG pests here is a variety of Boston Fern...  It
grows viciously where it is not wanted...is there ANYthing that will do
it in?  Round-up doesn't phase it, pulling it out only encourages more to
come up.  We live on the E. side of the Big Island of Hawaii...and the
weather and temp just thrills them to pieces...so many pieces!  Can
anyone suggest a way to rid areas of this fern.  I AM frond of ferns and
have many planted about...but this one is invasive... Thanks in
advance... Carol