Re: vermin

Hi Folks!
As a plant physiologist, I would like to add a few things to the discussion on Imidocloprid , and other systemics. First, they are strong chemicals, and should all be used very carefully. It is not just the pesticide that is dangerous. The carriers and stabilizers that accompany them may be more toxic than the pesticide. Further, the active agents may be volatile or unstable in the soil, so they may be available for absorption for only a short time. Kyle may have a better handle on this, but it is something to keep in mind.
Second, as systemics, they have to be taken up by the plant, and that puts certain limitations on their effectiveness. Plants which are actively growing/transpiring will take up more active agent than those not in active growth. So bright light encourages uptake. Abundant water is necessary to carry the chemical to the roots, at the time of application. Fertilization with systemic treatment may stimulate root activity, which would increase uptake. To treat a whole plant requires that a large part of the root system be exposed to the systemic all at once, as there is no central switching yard for water movement in plants.
Third, insects not actively feeding while the chemical remains in the plant will not be affected. I do not know how long the systemics remain in the plant, but hope likely exceeds reality in this case. Any dormant or inactive scales will just sit out the assault, and live to reproduce another day.
Just as a side note, Imidocloprid is the active ingredient in the popular Grub-X, used to treat lawns for ..... grubs!!!!. The populations of rose chafer grubs (very similar to Japanese beetle grubs) have gotten high in my garden, causing damage to quite a few ornamentals, including my hardy ferns. Grub-X to the rescue, followed by milky spore to establish lasting control. I hope.
I know winter is upon us, but I am very reluctant to use Imidocloprid in the house. My plan is to do any treatments in warm weather, outdoors, so the plants get their dose, and volitile components have a chance to disperse before the plants come back into the house.

Betty in South Bend, where the leaves are finally falling, and winter is just around the corner!!!!

Mary,

They go go by the name "Provado Insect-pin" and are produced by Bayer. They
contain 2.5% Imidocloprid.

I get them, but that won't help you much, at the Boerenbond...

Wim

-----Original Message----- From: owner-ferns@hort.net on behalf of Mary Gorton Sent: Sun 11/13/2011 1:35 AM To: ferns@hort.net Cc: Subject: Re: [ferns] vermin Wim,

Where do you get 'sticks' of Imidocloprid and what is the name under which
it is sold?

Mary Gorton

http://www.hort.net/funds/