RE: Chemical opinion - follow up

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Chemical opinion - follow up
  • From: "carol noel" <carolnoel2000@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:47:18 +0000

Very interesting.  Thanks for translating that.  Definitely won't be
drinking it or feeding it to my dog!!![IMAGE]

Good to know inhalation is safe-ish.

>From: "Winter, Wim de" <Wim.dewinter@wur.nl> >Reply-To: ferns@hort.net
>To: <ferns@hort.net> >Subject: RE: [ferns] Chemical opinion - follow up
>Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:37:39 +0100 > > > What is the product your
using exactly...I can't find anythin on the web > > for indoor use...does
the lable specify that it has indoor uses? are you in > > the u.S.? >
>Nope. I  live in Holland. I use Provado Imidacloprid 2.5 % labeled for
indoor >and outdoor use. This is conform the national admission, which
should be (but >not necessary is) conform the European admission. From
the admission file I >cite (my translation and summary): > >
>Toxicokinetics > >Oral intake > >Imidaclopris was quickly taken up after
oral intake by rats and redistributed >over the body, except fatty
tissue, central nerve system and bones. The uptake >surpassed 90%. After
48 hrs it was excreted by urine (75-90% of dose) and >faeces (7-21%).
(...) The two primary decomposition pathways being oxydative >lysis of
the molecule and hydrolysis of the imidazoline ring followed by
>splitting off the water molecule. > > >Dermal en inhalatory intake > >No
quantitative data available. No dermal penetration study available.
>However, based on oral and dermal toxicity data it is deduced that
uptake will >be minimal. >Therefore, dermal uptake is assumed 10% for the
risk-assesment. > > >Toxicodynamics > >Acute toxicity > >Imidacloprid
should be considered harmful to toxic (based on rat and mouse
>respectively). In the inhalation study no effects were seen even in the
>highest achievable concentration. Imidacloprid is not irritating the
eyes nor >sensibilizing the skin. > >Tabel T.1 Acute toxiciteit van
imidacloprid > >Route Species LD50 (mg/kg body wt) > LC50 (mg/m3) >oraal
muis (m) 131 >oraal muis (f) 168 >oraal rat (m) 424 >oraal rat (f)
450-475 >dermaal rat > 5000 >inhalatoir rat > 69 (aerosol) >inhalatoir
rat > 5323 (dust) > > >Subacute/(semi)chronic toxicity > >[my summary:] 4
Weeks in dog feed doses 0, 200, 1000 en 5000 mg/kg feed. At >5000 mg/kg:
poor bastard; at 1000 mg/kg: some liver damage. >3 Weeks rabbit 0 to 1000
mg/kg body wt: no effects. >4 Weeks rat inhalation: (concentrations 0,
5,5, 30,5 and 191,2 mg/m3): NOAEL >of 5,5 mg/m3, based on liver and
hematology. > >Long term effects comparable. > >
>Genotoxicity/carcinogenity > >Imidacloprid has no effect on tumor
incidence in mice and rats. It is not >carcinogenous. Imidacloprid does
cause in-vitro chromosome damage. Because the >in-vivo test were
negative, it is considered not genotoxic. > >Reproduction toxicology /
teratogenity > >No effects on reproduction could be found. In the
teratogenity study, no >itrreversible changes were observed. >In the
2-generation reproduction study, the NOAEL (rat) was 100 mg/kg feed, or
>5 mg imidacloprid/kg body wt.day > > >Neurotoxicity > >Imidacloprid is a
nicotine cholinerg receptor agonist. > >In subacute and semichronic test
in dogs indications were found of >neuropathological effects (tremor,
ataxie). NOAEL 5 mg/kg body wt. > >In an acute study in rats effects were
observed (...)  NOAEL 20 mg/kg body wt >  (...) >The NOAEL for general
toxicological effects is 140 ppm in the feed, or 9.3 and >10.5 mg/kg
lg/dag (female resp. male) > >(... long) > >No model are available to
calculate acute effects of exposure to imidacloprid >used as Provado
Insect-pin. The exposure is estimated to be nihil, since: > > >1) contact
time is short and application infrequent, > >2) contact surface is
minimal > >3) gas pressure of imidacloprid is low  (no  inhalatory
exposure). > >No health effects are to be expected. > >[demime 1.01d
removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of
winmail.dat] >