Re: Athyrium color??

  • Subject: Re: [ferns] Athyrium color??
  • From: "Judith I Jones" judith@fancyfronds.com
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:55:03 -0700

Terra Nova put this on the market from Thurman Maness who is a nursery
hobbyist.  I didn't think much of this form to begin with.  It is most
probably an inconsistent character, such traits are often noted one season
and not another.  But big business has found that american gardeners will
buy any "new" form of japanaese painted fern.  The race is on to see how
many can be named befroe the public wises up.  I do think that 'Burgundy
Lace' and 'Silver Falls' are nice typical variations that one can get in any
large sowing of 'Pictum'.
Judith I. Jones