Re: Fw: Staghorn dying leaves

--- Doret Vermeulen <cfao@iway.na> wrote:

 Hi Everyone, I have a question that please need
answering. When I first started out with stags I was
told if a fertile frond starts dying leave it be it
will fall off don't cut it off.  If this is true why
should we leave it on is it because it falls off by it
self?  The reason why I am asking this question is
because I have to give a little talk on how to mount
etc staghorns and give the garden club ladies a bit of
information on stags.  And I don't want to tell them
to leave dying fronds and if they ask me why I would
not be able to tell them why.  ;^/
 An answer would be greatly appreciated.
 Thank you very much Doret Namibia

Doret here in Maine United States I've one
Platycerium...and I remove all browning foliage when
its almost 1/2-3/4's gone and gently tug/pull on the
leaf until it gives way removing any future
possibility of disease to the rest of the plant..one
can cut off the leaf in question at the base but I
find that with proper watering and high humidity the
plant shall not suffer from removal of spent
foliage...yes the spent foliage shall eventually fall
off but getting rid of such post haste seems to have
helped my Platycerium with growth so far...

kfb maine zone 5