From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net]On Behalf Of Bob
Needham
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 6:29 PM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: [ferns] Brown Scale on ferns

O.K., before I nuke my plant collection to sve the planet, I figured that I
need to learn a little bit more about the enemy. That's right, I'm talking
about the terrorists of the turf, the Taliban of the fern world, SCALE!
As soon as I notice scale, I take the infected plant to a separate room,
"The Hospital".
It's about 50 feet away, and if I was a bug their size with their (probably)
short lifespan, I figure that's like me trying to walk from California to
New York without food or water over terrain like the Grand Canyon (carpet).
So that should work, right? I fastidiously wash my hands after touching
infected plants. I have been treating them with a Pyrethrin (0.02%) and
Piperonyl Butoxide (0.2%) commercial spray that claims to kill both thrips &
scale. I have been diluting it to 50% with water (adding a drop of liquid
dish soap as a surfactant) because it seems to really whack the ferns.
When I treat an infected plant, I spray, then hand-inspect all surfaces with
a 10X loupe, scraping up and disturbing any scale I see with an X-Acto
blade, letting my Witches Brew do it's deadly task! BWAAA-Haa-Haa! This does
seem to be effective. Plants are then inspected every few days, and treated
again if necessary. If the plant shows no more signs of infection after a
week or two, it goes to a separate "Recovery Room" for another week or two
for observation. Plants in these rooms do not touch, and I do more
handwashing than a doctor. If the plants then seem to be "clean" they are
then allowed to return to normal civilian life, providing Oxygen for my few
remaining brain cells.
O.K., here's the questions:
1) I've already figured out that Thrips can fly (I've swatted a few and put
their sorry little mangled remains under the ferocious glare of a
stereomicroscope). It's a little like trying to figure out what kind of a
watch it was before a truck ran over it, but if you get enough samples (and
learn to swat gently), one can figure it out eventually.
2) Here's the main question: All the scale I've seen leads me to believe
that they are pathetic little feeble slimebutts with brains the size of
DUST-MOTES, SO WHY ARE THEY OUTSMARTING ME!@!!!!!!!O.K., O.K., I got a
little carried away there... BREATHE!  O.K., I'm better now. But seriously,
folks