RE: Elaphoglossum Panama

  • Subject: RE: [ferns] Elaphoglossum Panama
  • From: "Winter, Wim de" <Wim.dewinter@wur.nl>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 11:17:29 +0200

Hi Doret,

This is in general what Elaphoglossums look like:
- the leaf is simple and entire, on a well-defined petiole.
- fertile leaves are longer and narrower, acristichoid
- the leaf is often not very thin and more or less covered with beautifully cut-out scales
- the rhizome is superficially creeping
- mostly epiphytic or epilithic

I have seen them from lowland to over 4000 m altitude, always in moist air.