From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of Sue
Olsen
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:10 PM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: Re: [ferns] Spore sieve(s) / spore refrigerator / digital pH meter.

Hi Darren,
I don't think you need a sieve for your spores. If you put your spore
collection on a piece of white paper and carefully tip it and tap it so
that the chaff falls off and spores remain you should have a good
indication of whether or not you have spores and if you do they should be
ready to put into culture. I do know that some propagators have used
camera lens cleaning paper successfully, but I don't find it necessary. I
will add that a microscope helps in that I have received packets of
"spores" that are nothing but chaff. A glance under the scope will
determine whether or not spores are present and ready for sowing.
As for a special refrigerator.....any fridge will do. I've stored spores
successfully on the door shelf of our refrigerator for years. (Once upon
a time we also stored lady bugs in the refrigerator but that "bugged" our
baby sitters!) Obviously if you are dealing with green spores they won't
last long in any refrigerator, although they will survive in a frozen
state.
Don't have info on a digital pH meter. It sounds like a much better
option than the tests I've used so I hope there will be some suggestions
from others on the list.
Hope this helps.
Sue Olsen
Bellevue, WA