From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of
xericferns@aol.com
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 7:50 AM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: Re: [ferns] Spore sieve(s) / spore refrigerator / digital pH meter.

Darren,

I'd have to agree with Sue regarding the "need" for a sieve to sort spore. I
generally use the paper tapping method myself and end up with fairly clean
spore. That being said, I have used a series of graduated sieves to get rid
of large detritus, or if I know I have lots of trash that I want to go
though.

Sometimes I'm collecting spore from older, dried fronds that have shed most
of their spores but, given the amount and type of indument on the frond,
will tend to always have some spore clinging to them. In this case, I often
crush the fronds in a?marble mortar and pestle, and then run them through
the sieves. I'll also do this with Pellaea mucronata, and P. brachyptera, as
the pinnules can close before shedding all or most of the spore when being
dried.?The small sieve set I have currently, has 30, 80 and 100 mesh
screens. The 100 mesh equates to 150 micron openings.

Given what limited information I could find regarding spore size in
Cheilanthoid ferns (Flora of North America-Vol 2, The Pteridophytes of
Mexico), it seems that most of the spore is less than 100
microns?(Astrolepis cochisensis var. arizonica and A. cochisensis var.
chihuahuensis both--87 microns or smaller). This would equate to about a 140
mesh (106 micron).

I will note that occasionally, I've ended up sowing whole sporangia (because
that's mostly what was left when done tapping) and had good germination from
them. If I had used a sieve with a 140 mesh in that case, I would have had
much less success in the germination...and no, I can't remember with what
particular fern species that occurred.

The spore that I'll be sending you should be pretty clean. I try to be
diligent, especially when sharing spore I've collected. I'm not sure if
issue with the farina and Pentagramma pallida spore will be addressed unless
you can get down to the 100 micron level. The other option is to wait till
later this winter or spring and allow me to try to collect fresher spore,
and maybe that will come with less of the farina.

Regarding pH; I've found that for spore sowing I don't have to worry too
much about the pH, even with lime loving ferns like Argyrochosma jonsii and
A. limitanea. In fact, I had very poor luck when trying to incorporated
ground limestone into the sowing media for A. jonesii the first couple of
times I tried to sow it. The first time I used my standard mix, I had great
germination so I stopped worrying about it. Regardless, I've included a link
to 'Forestry Suppliers, Inc' http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/?that has a
wide range of pH testers (and a wide range of prices that match). They also
have some sieves.

Good luck,

David Schwartz
Bakersfield, CA