From: owner-ferns@hort.net [mailto:owner-ferns@hort.net] On Behalf Of Brian
Aikins
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 11:20 PM
To: ferns@hort.net
Subject: Re: [ferns] Spore sieve(s) / spore refrigerator / digital pH meter.

I have 3 very useful tools for preparing spores:   A two inch diameter sieve

made with stainless steel wire cloth (McMaster-Carr  85385T879), a stainless

steel brush (Beautech SH-61) with the bristles spread into a 1/2 inch fan,
and a 1/2 by 3 inch tapered artist's spatula ( similar to
http://www.aswexpress.com/art-supply/catalogs/0061787000000 ).  The thin
spatula also works well for transplanting gametophytes, repotting from plug
trays, etc.

Since the sieve is all metal, it can be sterilized between uses with a heat
gun.  The only problem I've found is a small percentage (probably <1%) of
ferns can't be processed with it because the spores are too large.  The last

time that happened I took a picture, see
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v353/fernpics/Asian_ferns/?action=view&cur
rent=32_3_2005apr.jpg .

I too keep all spores in our kitchen refrigerator, some staying viable for
more than 15 years.

Please post any links to an affordable pH meter, something I've always
wanted -- the really cheap moisture-meter-type ones don't seem to work.  I
wish Apogee Instruments made a pH sensor, I've been very happy with their
SQ-110 quantum light meter.

OK, that's enough product endorsements for one email.  I'm just a satisfied
customer (requisite disclaimer).

Brian