RE: Re: WEATHER!! Now tornados

Pam, having had a few tornados around that hit not far from home and as I
watched one year from my dorm room as a professor's chair traveled from one
building to land on top of a spire half a campus away, it sounds pretty much
like a train coming through.  (O.K., so I was supposed to have been in the
basement for safety, but I needed a book to finish studying for a test,
so....  Fortunately, God looked after this fool!)

Unfortunately, growing up, we lived very near an active train track, and in
the direct flight path of Indianapolis International Airport (the favorite
approach for jets.)  I will wake at the slightest sound of a child
whimpering, but not much else other than the alarms.   I think with all the
other noise diversions in suburbia, the sirens are a blessing, especially at
night.  The sirens have saved hundreds of lives here.  (Ask the folks in
Xenia, OH.)  When they go off, it's to the basement (or an interior room)
for us with the battery operated radios to know when it might be safe to
"come up."

Also, we have some pretty nasty storms that don't produce tornados and it's
pretty hard to tell here by just looking at the sky.  Trees obscure the
approach of weather from much distance.  Other times, one will form overhead
without much notice, but if conditions are right for their formation, we
spend a little quality time in the basement just in case.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)