Re: fennel, dill, parsley, and butterflies, etc

I suppose it is possible that it is just one of those cyclical events and next summer it will be back to normal. I have a pipevine that I planted two years ago - it is still very young (no blooms). No sign of pipevine swallow tail larvae either. Do have an amusing insect close encounter, though. I was in the vegetable garden looking for harvestable green beans. Found a few, moved down the row, saw another, reached for it...it was a preying mantis! We were both pretty surprised.