Re: Salvia 'Black and Blue'

Well- for me it was reliable last winter. Came back as big and beautiful as ever! And, yes, I did cut back the stems. This was a cold winter for us- I lost a couple of other things, but the Black and Blue was fine.

Theresa
Sac, CA zone 8-9

Marge Talt wrote:

The "not reliable" is what I've heard about it, too.  Now, in the dim
recesses of my brain think someone told me that you should never cut
this one back before winter...leave the dead stems; something about
water freezing in the pockets left by removing dead stems...of
course; state I'm in, I could be dreaming; this bit of advice could
have been about another plant...but there's a connection in my
cranium.

I've not taken cuttings of any salvia but S. officinalis cvs...what's
the best way to treat cuttings from this type of salvia?

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Corydalis
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------

From: Chris@widom-assoc.com
I've grown Salvia 'Black and Blue' for a number of years now.

It's has

wintered over some years, but is not reliable. Interesting idea

about the

tuber. I divided a plant this year before planting and don't

remember

seeing anything but fibrous roots. I've never brought it inside for

the

winter. Has anyone brought s. van houttii indoors? I could make

cuttings,

but I'm interested in how these plants do with indoor culture.