Re: heat and water

The key is, as you said, "we're set up for it". East of the
Mississippi, (and I think in much of Missouri - don't know about
Iowa) farmers do not irrigate. It does not pay them to do so, because
most years there is enough from the sky moisture to sustain the crops
they plant. Further west, farmers have to irrigate, or they would not
be able to farm at all, so the systems are in place. (Easy to see
from the sky as you "fly over" (no political comments needed!).
Had a "Locally grown" food festival today at our downtown city park.
I volunteered to run the "weird vegetables" table. Brought my edible
soybeans, cooked as "salted in the pod" edamame. Most people liked
it, and asked where they could purchase them. Had to say - two hours
south in St. Louis' ethnic groceries. Had okra on display, and had to
tell inquirers that they too had to go to the "big city". I can't
blame the producers. They have to make a living, and if they can't
sell what they produce, they can't, but there has to be a better way!

Cathy, west central IL, z5b