Re: hort.net moving?

Well what I am going to say is going to go over like a lead balloon, but here it goes... :)
I rather doubt anyone is going to sponser a site unless there is a
specific gain for that company. Most already have pictures, or could
easily for a small fee get them. Basically, if they are not selling the
plant- why would they want someone looking at something they would buy

Chris, keep an open mind, you realize things have to change, so put your
mind in that state. Too many hard line thoughts and you will be in the
same situation that you are now.

hort gallery has been your project and life goal for many years. Look at
someone like ipower.com - for 6.95 a month you can keep your dream
alive. Depending on the bandwith it uses, maybe 11.95 Simple costs that
would be easy to bare.

I have no idea about your mallorn customers where security would be an
issue. But thinking you could find somewhere to use at a cost that would
be absorbed into their fee.

I think we as a group have used Chris's services far too long. There is
roughly 50 of us (?), so if we each sent him some money, we could help
out what he has already spent out of pocket. As Chris said this is not a
solution. By offering money, then nothing, we are putting him in the
same situation he is again. I would suggest a membership thing, but once
again we are making him commit to keeping a resource for us to use.
Besides the expense there is also his personal time making everything

My solution to this is to move the list elsewhere.
Chris- remember- keep an open mind- You have been great to us, it is time for us - as a group- to do something else.
I am on a few yahoo lists, moderator etc..... they are free and someone
else does the hard line of making it work. Granted, at times it can and
does go down along with some glitches, but for the most part it works.
They don't seem to mind a lot of messages, during one groups races, we
easily send over 6000 messages a month.

I can and will set up a list for us. I am hoping that Chris will accept
the offer to be one of the moderators. It isn't hard to do, but he is
great at knowing a spammer which is the roughest part of the job. Found
with my other groups, three people seems to work the best... so would
need another volunteer.

As far as the archives go.... how many of us really use them? I have a
gmail address that keeps all messages and I log on once or twice a month
to make sure it is still working. If anyone needs a free email address
with unlimited storage, let me know, I will send you an invite to get a
gmail address.

More later....