How important is a phone number?

Hi guys,

   I have a question for you from a business owner's perspective.

   How important is it that a business have a phone number that you
   can call?  Or fax?

   Right now I'm paying $65/month for a phone line and a fax line for
   the nursery, costing me $780/year.  That's money that I can't
   afford to spend right now, especially since I hardly even get phone
   calls to the business anyhow.  Most are from people trying to sell
   something, and the rest followup with an email (which the answering
   machine suggests).

   How disastrous would it be to not have any phone lines associated with
   the business?

I appreciate any insights,

Chris