To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] How important is a phone number?

When I went into business I gave myself 5 years to make it work. Average time for a small business to get past the point where stats say they will fail.... first 5 years. Anyway.... got to the 5 year mark taking any funds from the business and reinvesting back into making it work... no profits. At 5 years was only breaking even... turning money over. Gave it one more
year and it worked. Turned a profit. You may have too high
expectations....( I. of course, may have had them too low.)

Hi Gene,

  I'm not sure if I have five years to wait.  :(

Right now I kind of feel like I'm at a crossroads. My job is in turmoil,
  a relationship that was going wonderfully ended suddenly because of
  unresolved emotional issues from her previous marriage, and I've had
  the recent realization that I have no real friends or support system
  here in town.

  I've given myself two years to work out the employment issues, get the
  house ready to sell just in case, and liquidate the nursery.  That was
  part of the impetus to moving hort.net to outside servers as well; I
  can save money for reinvestment into the house while facilitating
  a future move.

  Who knows.  Maybe things will get better and I'll want to stay here.
  But right now there are so many things in my life that can be changed
  by taking another path, so I need to consider it and prepare.

  And, at the very least, I need to heed Thoreau when looking at my
  life and 'Simplify, simplify, simplify.'

Chris