Re: monardas

Kitty, if you really lived in the country, you would be able to take
steps against the deer - either fencing or shooting them.  My son
who has a couple of hundred acres upstate doesn't have these
problems.  But the middle of Westchester County, about 40
miles north of New York City, isn't really the country. We live on
a cul-de-sac up a steep hill with no civic services - no sewer,
water, or road maintenance - since we aren't in a "development."
We do back up against a large, undeveloped county park area.
The other side of the hill is a huge development of McMansions,
but there are only eleven rather small older houses on this road.  You
can't really see but one of them from my house, since we all have
at least an acre - it's one acre zoning - and the terrain is is so
rocky and wooded.  That's why we can't fence - it' just too steep.
But it is illegal to shoot the deer.  It is illegal to allow your dog to
chase them, though the woods around us are full of coyotes.
Some people think it's charming to look out and see a herd of
deer on your lawn.  These people aren't really "growers."
Don't get me wrong.  I really, really love where I love and hope I
never have to love anywhere else, but the problem with deer is
really frustrating and gets to be depressing sometimes.
In a message dated 8/3/2009 10:55:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,