Re: chilling bulbs

I pulled out Brent & Becky's Daffodil Book.  They have a section called
"Cultivation Recommendations by Region".  It looks like they suggest the
same varieties for the Southeast and the Southwest, with additional caveats
for each area.  They say:

(paraphrased) " The Southeast is a good area for growing some tiypes of
daffodils, ideal for others, and poor for a few types. Iy's ideal for the
tender tazetta types...as well as for any other types from warmer regions
like jonquilla relatives and some species bulbs....Early blomers tend to do
pretty well because growth activity peaks when temp is cooler...foliage has
time to rejuvenate the sugars stored in the bulb while still relatively
cool.  Generally speaking, the trumpets, poeticus, doubles, and whites
(except jonquilla and tazetta types do not fare well in the
Southeast....Most other dafs do well if provide good drainage and summer
shading...avoid basal rot by making sure they don't stay wet...Our
customers in the Deep South (Z8-9) tell us that Carlton, Gigantic Star, and
St. Keverne are the best big yellows there, whereas most large yellows
wither away in the heat."

For the Southwest: "Plant your bulbs in Dec or Jan and water well...Avoid
choosing cultivars from Divisions 1-2-3-4-and 9, as they are unreliable in
your climate....Plant in partial shade with companion plants to keep bulbs
cool in summer....it's best to start with jonquillas and tazettas whose
ancestors sprang up in warmer climates.  If those prove successful,
experiment with choices from Div 5 and 6...You may want to PRECOOL THESE
FOR SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS BEFORE PLANTING...mulch with light colored mulch to
reflect the intense heat of summer away from the soil."

Div 1  Trumpet Daffodils
2  Large Cupped
3   Small Cupped
4   Doubles
5   Triandrus
6   Cyclamineus
7   Jonquilla
8   Tazettas
9   Poeticus
10   Species and Wild Forms
11  Split Coronas (Butterfly)
12   Various Others

I especially like John Scheepers/Van Engelen catalogue because he group the
bulbs according to division.  Makes it easier to pick the ones that are
right for your location.    Also - within the Tazetta group there are also
non-hardy tazettas, many called paperwhites, that need no cold period and
grow very well in warm climates.  Here we just grow those in pots indoors.

Kitty

that do well up North don't here.  But some do very nicely, particularly
(but not limited to) jonquils and tazetta narcissus.