Re: Peony question

You're welcome, Theresa.  Since you're in an area that probably
doesn't get cold enough for many, I did a quick scan through my saved
Peony-list files and here are some that are recommended for hot
climates...all say it's best to go for the early flowering types and
singles will do better than the really blowzy marvelous doubles that
we all think of when we think 'peony'.  Also consensus is that in the
south they need part shade (morning sun; afternoon shade is best),
good, organically enriched soil and additional watering - of course,
good drainage is a must.

'Festiva Maxima' - mentioned in many posts as growing and flowering
well in the south..it does fine for me and it gets hot here too quick
for the late flowering bomb types as a rule and they just blast apart
(of course, we have our first major downpours just as soon as the
peonies open).

'Charm'
'Paul Fay'
'Pillow Talk'
'Shirley Temple'

lactifloras:
'Kelway's Glorious'
'Kansas'
'Moonstone'
'Chief Wapalo'
'Shawnee Chief'

all other types:
'Coral Charm'
'Laddie'
'Yin Xian Xiu Hong Pao'

Mediterranean species - not hardy in the north:
Tree peonies:
The delavayi complex
P. cambessdessica (which may be sorta tricky)
P. russi
P. emodi
P. coriacea
P. clusii
P. rhodia
P.turcica
P. parnassica
P. cambessedesii

APS Bulletin reports of of herbaceous peonies being grown in
Shreveport, Louisiana;
Louisville, Kentucky; and Cordova, Alabama.  Also in the geographical
centre of Georgia.
Don't know the USDA zones for these areas.   Varieties these authors
recommend are:

'Pico
'Sea Shell
'Sparkling Star
'Bu-te
'Westerner
'Gay Paree
'White Cap
'Miss America
'Mons. Jules Elie
'Mrs. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Edulis superba and hybrids 'Red Charm', 'Lovely Rose', 'Cytherea, and
'Firelight.
It was suggested that most tree peonies would do okay.

P. broteroi

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Theresa- yahoo <tchessie@yahoo.com>
>
> Thanks Marge!  I just bought one for 1/2 price from Brent and
Becky's!  I