Re: Rainfall Map

I mean when [as in month] it rains. We get nearly all of ours during the "growing" season; California gets nearly all of its during the "dormant" season. Other places, such as Maryland, get it more evenly distributed during the year.

On Friday, December 5, 2003, at 09:22 PM, Kitty wrote:

If you take the volume of precip out of the equation, and leave only
the frequency and the temps,
Did you mean the frequency of the precipitation?

Jim, I don't doubt that there is much more involved in growing plants than
just cold & heat hardiness and precipitation. Still, I think the map is a
helpful tool. To see a copy of the map and a brief summarization of HCGs
explanation go to:
http://snurl.com/3agg

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Rainfall Map

Rain map is an interesting idea. Do they really mean "rainfall [what is
sleet, my sweet?]" or do they mean precipitation? I'm sure the amount
of precipitation an area receives is an important factor in plant
adaptability and/or hardiness. But I'm not sure what I know when I know
it. Kitty's home away from home, Barrow, Alaska, probably gets as much
precip as I get--I just get 90 percent of mine when the temps are in
the 80s, below the high point on the heat zone and above the average
[maybe, actually, median] point on USDA.

If you take the volume of precip out of the equation, and leave only
the frequency and the temps, Theresa's environment would be nearly the
opposite of mine. Yet we have more growing experiences in common than I
have with most of you and, perhaps, than she has with many of you.

What makes the Sunset zones so accurate for the three Pacific coast
states, Kitty, is that they are not based on gross data collected from
weather stations [as are all the other "zone maps" I know of], but on
Sunset Magazine's plea in the 1920s to its readers to keep track of
their own weather and gardening experiences and share that data with
the magazine.