From:  [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 14:07:50 +0000
Subject: RE: [CHAT] what are you hearing?

Melody,<br>Did you catch some of Josh's earlier appearances on Allie
McBeal? I was stunned at how beautiful his voice was.<br>Kitty<br>> Jim:
As an apparent fellow lover of classical music, I would invite you<br>>
to check out a young man by the name of Josh Groban...24 years old
with<br>> the voice of an angel...nearly brings me to tears listening to
his<br>> beatiful music. He does some contemporary Broadway stuff,too
and brings<br>> a great deal to that genre as well. Am hoping Santa will
be kind to me<br>> with a gift of Josh Groban's new CD under the tree
this year. re:<br>> Handel's Messiah--a few years ago I was lucky enough
to find a 12 volume<br>> record album set of the entirety of this
masterpiece at a consignment<br>> store, in very good condition...it's
not difficult to find a CD or<br>> something with selected works from
the Messiah, but to find the whole<br>> thing...ahhh!!! And for less
jsinger@igc.org > wrote:<br>> From: james singer [mailto:
jsinger@igc.org]<br>> To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>> Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003
It's odd, Daryl, but I can't find the Yo Yo Ma set [two CDs, Bach,<br>>
a<br>> <br>terrific recording. A real head piece. I remember going to a
party<br>> once <br>when it was played followed by Rostopovich's
recording--and we<br>> debated <br>the merits of each or both on into
recording, I found my <br>Jerry<br>> Garcia-David Grisman CD [that's
what it's called: "Jerry<br>> <br>Garcia/David Grisman"]. This is
another one that's worth running<br>> down. <br>If you don't know
Grisman, he may be the best mandolin picker<br>> that ever <br>lived.
He's one of those blue grass

guys, like Peter Rowan<br>> [remember <br>"The Free Mexican Airforce"?],
that seem to be all over<br>> the place--and <br>comfortable about
for me. Most <br>"christmas" music is<br>> soppy-sappy crap orchestrated
to make you feel <br>festive and mindless<br>> in the aisles at
Wal-Mart. And by now [December 8] <br>it has grown<br>> truly tiresome.
There used to be a classical music station <br>DJ in<br>> Washington who
played christmas music in July and not in October,<br>> <br>November,
December, and [in case you missed it] January. And it has<br>>
to<br>> sell <br>give-away sentimentality among the pine boughs and
snowflakes<br>> [and <br>amused me, of course, because Handel would have
I have a favorite.<br>> Yes. My all time favorite of all time <br>is the
Julliard String Quartet<br>> of the late-1970s early-1980s playing
Richard <br>Carliss on violin, Samuel<br>> Rhodes on viola, and [blush,
I don't <br>remember] on cello. Mann was to<br>> the Strad what Grisman
is to the <br>mandolin. Fantastic. And, if you're<br>> in the audience,
news!<br>><b<br>> <br>> r>> By the way, I love your juxtaposition w/Yo
year, my mix might be Iron<br>> Butterfly, Yo Yo Ma and <br>>
Alabama's<br>> "Christmas in Dixie". And<br>> maybe a Canzon of
Florida<br>Zone<br>>
br>To<br>> sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with
____

__