From:  [mailto: Aplfgcnys@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:05:29 EST
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now yucky veggies! for cats!

A soybean-eating cat doesn't surprise me a bit. One of my four is mad
for<br>peas. When I bring fresh ones in from the garden, or even when I
buy<br>fresh ones, Jane gets right on the counter and keeps pawing at me
until<br>I shell some out for her. She doesn't eat the shells - wants
them just so.<br>The other thing she likes is a bit of asparagus cut in
small pieces. She<br>can't seem to manage it if it isn't cut pretty
small, but she will eat two<br>or three inches of a stalk if I cut it up
for her. And both my younger<br>cats go wild over fresh corn. Our
routine is to put newspapers on the<br>floor and when we finish a cob,
toss it to them. If I am cutting it off<br>the cob to cook another way,
they will run to the place where I put the<br>papers and wait
impatiently for me to bring them the cobs. That is<br>after they have
been shut out of the kitchen for trying to get right into<br>the pan I
am cutting the corn into.<br>And once, many years ago, I had a cat who
devoured violets. They <br>are all different, and a never-ending source
PM Eastern Standard Time, <br>tchessie@comcast.net writes:<br>OK- I have
an interesting addition to this thread... Tonight I made <br>steamed
edamame (soybeans in the shell) and my crazy siamese cat seemed
it. <br>This is the carnivor cat who will steal raw chicken if you are
looking <br>and I have caught licking raw scallops when I turned my
back. He came <br>back for more and wanted to take the soybeans right
off my plate <br>tonight! I shelled a couple and gave to him. I figure
if they are so <br>good for people, it could hurt the cat. Lots of fiber
knew a cat would eat soybeans???<br><br>-----------------------

join the hort.net fund drive!<br>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com