Re: help needed!

I have friends in the ice belt who used to do that. Thanks for the reminder. I was told that it only worked when it was close to the freezing mark, though.

Friends in New Orleans used to do that, too, when frost threatened their trops.

Do you know if they still sell those? I don't think I've seen them recently. I'm sure they're not PC.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] help needed!

OK, don't laugh at me guys - cause it works. Remember last December/January
when Oklahoma had this HORRIBLE ice storm move through and take down a ton
of trees with the weight, which caused power to go down for about 3 weeks in
some areas?  Well, some of the trees that were close to my house I managed
to save with Christmas lights. Yep...the big bulbs like you used to hang on
your house.  You can drape them around your tree branches and the ice will
slowly melt off.  I know it's a lot of work, but it's worth it if you want
to save your trees.  I had a BIG crepe myrtle, a river birch, and several
maples that I saved that way.  As for the trees in the pastures and creek
area...nothing I could do.  Just had to let nature take it's course.  We
lost a lot of branches down there.