Re: Feral cats

Scooter came straight to me, but he was still a blue-eyed, bottle-fed baby. E.T., as I said, just melted. Diesel took a couple of weeks of talking-to before he would come out from under the tractor when I put food out for him (and he was pretty young, too. I forget exactly how old, but I think the vet estimated his age at 10 weeks when we brought him in, so he was probably 8 weeks old when he showed up in the driveway.

Rascal was a jewel, but he had a foster mom for several weeks. She called him an "angel kitten", so he was apparently a love bug from the start. The same foster mom gave us Grayman- named for the S.C. ghost, and aptly named, too. When my Dad and my sister came by a little while ago, he hid under the bed until they were long gone. His foster-mom had to trap him to get him inside, and he made slow but steady progress with her. You'll probably remember that when she brought him here, all we saw of him was his tail for a couple of weeks.

I think another new cat showed up today. It was early, quite dark, and hard to tell from the house, but it didn't look like the others. I hope that I can get them all taken care of before the spring mating season. When does that usually start? I don't remember when the howling began last year.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Feral cats

Ya know..sometimes it is just the cat's basic personality to not trust
humans. We've had barn kittens, born wild by some stray cat. Some of them
would come to us, the others would run and hide and not come out until we
left.  Just like people - they have their own personalities.  But I would
trap them and take them to the vet/humane society because you don't want a
bunch of wild cats running around and that's what will happen. Good luck to
you...and I admire your big heart.