Allen Lacy

One of the GWA members posted a link to Allen Lacy’s obituary in the New York Times. Was he on this list or on CompuServe back in the “olden days”?  I remember having a discussion with him about the hardiness of some then-new plants that I had gotten from Alan Armitage .  I was amazed that he could overwinter some of them up in NJ when they failed here in GA. His answer was that he was gardening above 20’ or so of gravel. That made the difference in soil moisture that made their survival possible. I learned to plant particularly vulnerable material under the eaves or where the builders had dumped sand during construction of our house.