Re: basically deer munching was: Amer. Gardener article/Wild Greens

In a message dated 02/09/2004 11:36:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mtalt@hort.net writes:

> Have you ever tried Milorganite?  If not, it might be worth a
> go as it kept my herd off things for some years.  Only downside is
> you have to re-fling it after every rain.  Or maybe some of the
> commercial bad tasting/smelling sprays would work on that group of
> plants...at least for a while.  Unfortunately nothing works forever
> except fencing them out.  I often wished for several rolls of razor
> wire!

Marge, I've tried Milorganite and practically all the other commercial
things.  Milorganite worked for maybe three weeks.  We basically found that a
homemade mix of well-aged eggs, hot pepper sauce, dish detergent and a
sticker-spreader like Wilt-Pruf works as well as anything we have paid big bucks (no pun
intended) for.  If we spray this about once a week, starting early in the
season, it slows them down for a while.  We also found that it helps to change from
one mix to another every two or three weeks.  Trouble is, it's hard to find
the time to do it on a regular basis - takes an hour to get around to
everything.  With all of that, and the things I plant that they aren't fond of, I manage
to have a garden of sorts, and the deer still come to admire it, I guess.

It's above freezing here today - for the second time in about six weeks.  The
last time, it rained and froze, but it's sunny this morning.  The ice sheet
in the driveway is diminishing a bit, so maybe there's hope.  It's supposed to
get cold again by the weekend, though - probably about the time the snow cover
is finally melted.  I'm more than ready for spring.
Auralie - Z5