From: james singer
Sent: 2/2/2005 3:55:54 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] ginger  > zones

Right. But USDA contracted with AHS to update the USDA map. Cathey was
at USDA when the original map was drawn, and may have been involved
with the data crunching. Years later, after Cathey moved to AHS and
USDA began out-sourcing more and more of its work, AHS [which had by
then developed its own heat zone map] got a contract to update the USDA
map.

For obvious reasons, both maps leave a lot to be desired. I can't help
but think if the data that drives both maps were combined into one
searchable database that was [one] related to individual plants and
[two] related to longitude-latitude points, we'd have a fantastic
resource. And we could forget the maps and not worry about any
lobbyist's political agenda.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W