Re: Re: Clematis ref chain link

Well, this is an old thread - I now have 1188 posts in my chat folder
to read:-)  Wonder if I shall catch up in this life?

Anyway, I'd say that hot metal can burn tender plant leaves and would
guess from what Donna said that this is her problem.  I think older
stems can probably take it, but really tender young growth cannot in
a really hot spot.  On first year plants, that's mostly what you get.

I suggest getting some of that green plastic garden fencing and tying
it up to the chain link where you want the vines to grow.  Let them
cover that and then get into the chain link on their own when they're
ready to do it.  I have found that Sweet Autumn just loves growing up
this plastic fencing...and I'd second and third about that one being
pretty indestructible - a good one to try in less than optimal
conditions, realizing that it will grow very tall if given a chance
and does tend to seed around.  If the height of its support is not as
tall as it will grow, then it gets to the top and doubles over, which
is rather nice - you get this sheet effect.  Some of mine that grow
up plastic fencing onto the back deck rail do this.

This is also a Clematis that you cut back to about 2 or 3 buds from
the ground each year; makes it relatively easy to clear up all the
dead stuff and start out neat again each year.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs