Re: Weather- planting news

Gads- It has looked like rain almost all day- but now it is finally just pouring! Not sure how much- but the storm drains are barely keeping up. I went to a little plant sale today- bought couple plants- a black colcasia (have no idea where I am going to put this right now), a tiarella 'cygnet', a bare-root hosta (sum and substance I think) and another small little plant who's name begins with an "A"- (Ok- I think maybe I should start taking my mother's Alzheimer's medication....this is driving me crazy- so going to run outside in the rain and grab the tag...) ok- got it- Armeria maritima 'victor reiter' (sea thrift).

I did manage to dig up the rush that was going to take over the world near my front entrance. I was smart enough to leave one in a nursery pot- so it was easy to get out. A curly rush also wasn't too bad, but I've got a hunch I will be yanking out curly rush for some time to come. The last one "soft rush" was a &*^$%$^ in you know what! That plant had roots everywhere- despite the fact that is was surrounded on 2-sides by concrete (wall and side walk). The rushes are something my husband wanted and likes- but I no longer want them in the ground. This is one of those live and learn situations- rush is officially on my "do not buy" list. I chopped a small section of the soft rush off and planted it in a big pot with a chunk of the curly rush and the other larger one. So, my husband will be happy and I'll never have to dig it out again.

On another note- I drove by Michael's roses- and it was closed- and looks like it either is closed for the season, or no longer open to the public.... Rats- I'll check again during the week. I want to see that "hot lava" rose bush and see if I have the name right!

Theresa

james singer wrote:

Been raining off and on--mostly on--all day. Up to 4 inches per hour at times, according to the local news reader. I just dumped 4-1/2 inches out of the rain gauge. We had been running a deficit of about 3 to 3-1/2 inches for this time of year, so we must have closed the gap to normal. Would be nice to do it more slowly, however; maybe an inch a week to start with. Barometer is still headed south, so I guess we're in for more.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10