RE: Blizzard on the way, Chris' catalogue

First off, let me say, I love the format and commentary of your catalog over
all. As a consumer, it is great, as a business person- OOPS.. you got some
issues.

> D'oh!  It was supposed to reference my text in the first paragraph for
> that same plant, but apparently it wasn't obvious enough.  My Mom has been
> reading a lot of these entries too and calls me with changes -- it seems
> a lot of stuff made sense to me at the time, but something got lost in
> translation.  :)

not the translation, it is the background knowledge your mind has, and
typing slower than your mind is wandering :) Did you read the post by Island
Jim about how hard this is to do. Although some are in a language I can't
read, others are repeating comments, which is ok, but the more diverse you
can make them, the better. I also read one that was a negative undertones,
as in another plant was really better. No, No... each one needs to have a
special reason to buy me! LOL!

> One thing that I have done (and you can't see it yet because I can't
> figure out how to make it work in the PDF) is to link to the names of
> plants.  So in the online catalog it will link to other plants in the
> catalog if they're mentioned.  It *should* work in the PDF too, but
> it's complicated and I figured it was more important to finish the
> descriptions first.

Hum, I can click on the name of a plant from the beginning pages and it
takes me to that plants page...but I do have full versions pdf programs on
all my computers not just the free readers?

> I do want to come up with some sort of graphic to better depict plants'
> needs, but I'm trying to force myself to write descriptions instead.

Honestly... well, I think you need to get this completed quickly and leave
out some features for next year's version. Most of us have already received
the various catalogs. Those in the southern regions of the country have
probably placed their orders since they want the plants before their
respective spring/summer arrive. Those of us in the northern regions spend
the long winter days picking and choosing now. By April garden centers will
have the plants here- which is where I will be instead of looking thru a
catalog....that said, I am not 'everyone' so this might be off base.

> > Another note on pictures.  Would it be possible to have 2 pictures for
> some
> > entries?
> I've wondered about this as well and couldn't figure out what the best
> way to do it was.  Obviously it would be easy online (click for more
> pictures), but in the printed catalog it could complicate things
> significantly.

How about a sHORTurl notation for additional pictures on line? A simple URL
to a direct picture on your site? (which would also get them to your online
catalog version) hum... but I guess they are requesting a printed catalog
cause they have limited or no computer access anyways....

> As you can tell, I'm still short on a ton of photos.  :(

Ok folks... anyone got a picture THEY took he is missing? I know how fussy
he is about quality pictures, but SOMETHING is better than
nothing...remember that Chris!

> Cool!  I really appreciate the comments!

till you got to this message LOL!

My last comment is from my accounting side.... sorry, but R U NUTS? This
would be great as html pages in a site, but as a printed catalog?  Have you
priced 276+ pages in print- with color- then the cost of getting these
catalogs to folks in something other than bulk mail..... this will cost you
more than all the plants you bought! Seriously, have you talked to a
printing company? When we did the 56(?)page handout for the train
convention, being done by a company who was owned by a club member (read
deal), it was still one of the largest expenses we had.... then you get into
the issue of how to submitted it to them.... they all want it a certain way,
so you can convert it to that format or pay to have them do it. First I
heard of an encapsulated post script.... geesh- what a nightmare! (but I did
learn from the experience)

Although this sounds negative, I think you are on the right track- being
different is what the advertising game is all about... the first of a kind
will always be remembered.... go for it!:)

Donna