RE: Lotus

Ah, Chris, you're singing to the choir. There are different levels of
knowledge among MGs. Some have much more 'hands on' knowledge than book
smarts about it all. When I started keeping track of the plant list of
about 1400 plants, they had previously been listing things as eg.:
Lamiaceae Ciliata. Many don't know the difference between a family and a

I had just recently given them a friendly lecture on their wish lists
citing just what you said, "supposed to be Master Gardeners!". They
should make an effort to grow a few easy things from seed and they
shouldn't be asking for $50 in dahlias just to let them rot in the
ground. I've often suggested to them that we have a terrific library
right there, but they just don't like looking things up.

At one point I had to actually write instructions on how to pot a
division. When we dug plants from the garden to put in our plant sales,
most of them would dig a plant whole and then plunk it into the biggest
pot they could find. We provide all the materials and tools, but I guess
since they were getting rid of it they didn't care.

On the plus side though, they are mostly wonderful, friendly people -
most with much more experience with plants than I have. Maybe I just
take things to seriously.

neIN, Zone 5

From: Chris Petersen <chris@widom-assoc.com>