Re: 'Gold Tide' Forsythia

> Forsythia to me has always been vaguely hollow-stemmed, though I've never
> slit it lengthwise to view the chambers. Never paid much attention to pith
> color, either, except that the sprangly one that I eradicated here was
> lighter in pith than what I remembered.

Actually, I misspoke.  It's the chambering at the nodes.  F, suspensa
is supposed to be hollow but solid at the nodes, F. x intermedia is
chambered and solid at the nodes, and F. viridissima is chambered all
the way through.

> Which is which?
> And do you remember from your plant ID classes how to tell the danged
> Hollies apart?

We pretty much only had two choices here in Champaign-Urbana (zone 5b):
Ilex x meserveae and Ilex opaca.  I guess Ilex glabra, too, but that
was pretty obvious.  :)